Profile information Account settings
Sign up Log in

Make your Free Lodger Agreement for Scotland

A lodger agreement is a type of common law tenancy where the lodger shares the property with the landlord, but usually has exclusive possession of their room. A common law tenancy arises if the... ... Read more

Make document

How It Works

Create your document

Create your document

Answer a few simple questions to make your document in minutes

Save, print & share

Save, print & share

Save progress and finish on any device; download & print anytime

Sign & make it legal

Sign & make it legal

Securely sign online and invite others to sign

How to Make a Lodger Agreement for Scotland

  • What is a lodger agreement?

    A lodger agreement is a type of common law tenancy where the lodger shares the property with the landlord, but usually has exclusive possession of their room. A common law tenancy arises if the occupier lives in the same property as the landlord but has exclusive possession of part of the property (eg they have their own bedroom). 

    If you're a resident landlord in Scotland and want to rent out a room in your property, you'll need a lodger agreement. A lodger is someone who rents a room in your home and who may share the bathroom, kitchen and/or living room with you. Use this lodger agreement to set out the agreed terms of the lodging arrangement, including the rental amount, the details of the property, any shared areas and restricted areas.

    This document is for Scotland only.

  • When should I use a lodger agreement?

    Use this lodger agreement if you:

    • want to rent out a room in your property

    • are a resident landlord

    • are sharing the property and common areas with the lodger

    • only for property located in Scotland


  • What is included in a lodger agreement?

    This lodger agreement covers:

    • the start date of the lodging

    • the end date of the lodging

    • the name of the landlord and lodgers

    • shared areas in the property

    • rent payable and due date

    • whether bills are inclusive or exclusive

    • deposit arrangements

    • insurance

    • pets

    • ending the lodger agreement

  • Why do I need a lodger agreement?

    Whilst common law tenants are not regulated by statute or the law, it's still recommended to have a lodger agreement in place. The agreement can be in writing or verbal. However, it's always best to get it in writing if possible. This will help prevent disputes about the terms of the lodging arrangement and clarify things from the start.

  • Do resident landlords need to be registered in Scotland?

    Unlike private residential tenancies, if you are using the home as your only and main residence and there will be no more than 2 lodgers in your property, you won't need to be registered as a landlord.

  • What is a resident landlord?

    To be classed as a resident landlord, you must:

    • use the property as your only or main home (if you only stay in the property occasionally and have another home elsewhere, you won't count as a resident landlord); and

    • have direct access from your accommodation to the lodgers (for example, a landlord living in a separate flat in the same building as you won't count as a resident landlord; a landlord who has separate rooms in the same house as the lodger will).

  • Can I take in a lodger?

    If you own your home, you can usually take in a lodger. However, if you have a current mortgage then you may need to inform or ask your mortgage company for permission. Most mortgage agreements allow you to rent out a room in your home, but you usually need permission from your lender. Check your mortgage agreement to see what it says. If it says you need permission, it's important to get this before anyone moves in. If you don't, you could be breaking your agreement and your lender may take you to court. Taking in a lodger is not always allowed, and some lenders refuse to give permission if you have mortgage arrears.

    Find out more about taking in a lodger.

  • Do I need to inform my insurers?

    You won't always need to inform your insurers, however renting out a room in your home may also affect your contents insurance. To make sure your belongings continue to be protected against theft or damage by a valid insurance policy, you should inform your insurers of the new situation. This may mean they will increase your premiums. However, you should read your insurance policy to see what it says regarding lodgers or contact them if your policy doesn't say anything.

  • Do I have to pay tax on any rental income?

    You don't have to pay any income tax on the rent you receive if:

    • you live in the same property as your lodger, and

    • the room you rent out is furnished, and

    • the rent you receive is not more £7,500 a year (£625 a month).

    If you get more than this amount in rent, you can either pay income tax on the amount over £7,500 or pay tax on all the rent and claim tax back on any expenses involved (such as buying furniture or providing services). For further information, read the government's guidance on the Rent a Room Scheme and our guidance on Rent a room scheme and tax.

  • Will taking in a lodger affect my benefits?

    If you receive income support (IS) or jobseeker's allowance (JSA), you may receive reduced benefits if you rent out a room as you would be receiving more income than normal.

    If you do intend to rent out a room, you may need to inform the relevant benefits department of your change in circumstances.

  • How can I evict my lodger?

    If a common-law tenant doesn’t leave at the end of the notice period, you can apply for an order from the sheriff court to get them to leave.  If the tenancy is coming to an end and you have given the correct notice, or if you can prove they have broken a condition of the agreement, you will be given an automatic order. 

    Find out more about evicting a lodger.

What are some other names for Lodger Agreement for Scotland?

Common law tenancy agreement, Common law lodger agreement.

Related documents

Ask a lawyer

Get quick answers from lawyers, easily.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer On Call Solicitors


Easy legal documents at your fingertips

Answer a few simple questions to make your document in minutes

Easily customisable
Make unlimited revisions and copies. Share and print anytime.
Legal and reliable
Our documents are vetted by lawyers and legal staff, so you can use them with confidence.
Sign online, anytime, anywhere
Get secure, digital signatures on any device in seconds.
Try Rocket Lawyer free for 7 days
Make your Premium document today and get back to doing what you love.

Looking for something else?