Profile information Account settings
Sign up Log in

MAKE YOUR FREE Section 21 notice

Where is the property located?

  • Make your document in minutes
  • Access from any device
  • Securely sign online

How to make a Section 21 notice

A section 21 is a legal notice informing tenants that their tenancy is going to end and the landlord is going to take repossession of the property. Section 21 notice is commonly known as a ‘no fault notice’.  

As a landlord, there may be times when you need to give your residential tenants a notice to vacate your property. This may be because their tenancy is coming to the end of its term, because you need your property back from a tenant on a rolling tenancy, or when a tenant has breached the tenancy agreement by causing damage or not paying their rent. The correct use of a section 21 notice will help to ensure that a landlord takes possession of their property safely and legally. Protect yourself with this simple eviction notice.

You should use a section 21 notice to gain possession of a rented property let under an assured shorthold tenancy (AST). You can use a section 21 notice for periodic or fixed-term tenancies. You can serve a section 21 in contemplation of a fixed-term tenancy coming to an end up to 2 months prior to the eviction date.

If the tenancy is within the fixed term or the initial six months you can use a section 8 notice if you satisfy one of the grounds for it. For more information, read Section 8 notice.

For a section 21 notice, you must give the tenant a minimum notice of 2 months. This means the tenant must physically receive the notice 2 months before they have to move out.

Other names for a Section 21 notice

Eviction notice, End of tenancy notice.