Profile information Account settings
Sign up Log in

MAKE YOUR FREE Eviction notice

MAKE YOUR FREE Eviction notice

What do you want to do?

  • Make your document in minutes
  • Access from any device
  • Securely sign online

How to make an Eviction notice

As a landlord, there may be times when you need to give your residential tenants a notice to vacate your property. This may be because their tenancy is coming to the end of its term, because you need your property back from a tenant on a rolling tenancy, or when a tenant has breached the tenancy agreement by causing damage or not paying their rent.

An eviction notice informs tenants that their tenancy is going to end and the landlord is going to take repossession of the property.

In these situations make sure you use the correct eviction notice to vacate to legally evict tenants as there are different types of notices.

Use these eviction notices when you want to regain possession of your property. Answer a few simple questions to create your eviction notice.

There are two ways of repossessing property - section 21 and section 8 notice.

Section 21 Notice

You should use a Section 21 notice (known as 'Form 6A' in England) to gain possession of a rented property when the property is let under an assured shorthold tenancy (AST).

You can also use a section 21 notice for a rolling tenancy when the tenant has failed to pay rent for several months. You can also serve a section 21 notice if you want to end the tenancy on a no-fault basis.

If the tenant and property are located in England you should use a Section 21 (Form 6A) notice in England.

If the tenant and property are located in Wales you should use a Section 21 notice for Wales.

Section 8 Notice

You can use a Section 8 notice to evict tenants who are in breach of their tenancy agreement. It can be served during the fixed-term where there are specific reasons. These are also known as 'grounds' for possession. These include situations where tenants have not paid their rent or caused damage to the property, for example. You can rely on multiple grounds of possession for rent arrears, if applicable.

Using the correct notice will help to ensure that you take possession of the property safely and legally.

These eviction notices should not be used in Scotland. If you require an eviction notice for Scotland, Ask a lawyer.

If you use a section 21 notice, you must give the tenant a minimum notice of 2 months. This means the tenant must physically receive the notice 2 months before they have to move out.

If you use a section 8 notice this will depend on the ground you base the notice on. For example, two weeks' notice is required for grounds 8, 10 and 11.

For further information, read Tenant eviction.

Other names for Eviction notice

Repossession form, Section 21, Form 6A.