Profile information Member settings
Sign up Sign in

Property and joint assets

It's important to think about any joint assets or assets acquired during the marriage. This can include the matrimonial home, and properties or other assets bought together. When married couples or civil partners purchase property, it's common to purchase the property as 'joint tenants' (also known as ‘common owners with a survivorship destination’ in Scotland). This means that the ownership of the property is not carved out into distinct parts. It is impossible to transfer, sell, or leave in a will part of the property, without the consent of the other joint tenant. For more information, read Legal interest and beneficial interest in property.

In England and Wales, a solution to joint ownership can be to 'sever the joint tenant' (ie split the joint tenancy into a tenancy in common). Each person can then own distinct shares in the property. This means you can sell your share to your partner, or leave it in your will to whom you wish. To do this, use a Notice to sever joint tenancy and register this with the Land Registry.

In Scotland, changing ownership from common owners with survivorship to common owners (what tenants in common are known as in Scotland) is a very complex procedure. You should Ask a lawyer if you want to change how your property is held.

Can my ex-partner force a sale of the home?

Your ex-partner cannot force you to sell the family home. If you can't come to an amicable agreement then the court may order a sale of the family home, but this is not the only option. The property is deemed to be owned jointly as part of the matrimonial assets (ie assets acquired by a married couple during their marriage) and therefore neither of you can force a sale of the home.

What happens to any assets that were gifted during the marriage or civil partnership?

Any assets that were gifted during the marriage are considered unconditional gifts. This means that it is assumed that these gifts were given with no other consideration and that it was intended for the other person to keep the benefit from it. These can include an engagement ring, a wedding ring, any other jewellery, cash gifts and other tangible possessions. It's unlikely a person can ask for these back once a divorce has been finalised, as these gifts would be considered to belong to the other party.

What happens to any assets that we bought together during the marriage or civil partnership?

Any assets acquired jointly during the marriage or civil partnership are assumed to be owned in equal shares. This means that if there is no proof as to who bought the asset and with whose money, the courts are likely to infer that the asset is owned equally. It will be up to the individual parties to either split the assets equally or negotiate who will get what. You may find that a family mediation service is required to help the parties if there is disagreement over a particularly valuable asset (eg a car, a pet or expensive furniture). For more information, read Mediation.

Changing your will

When you marry, any Last will and testament (including a Last will and testament for Scotland) that you had prior to getting married will be automatically revoked.

Divorce and dissolution have the effect of completely removing the former spouse or civil partner from the will. Therefore, if your spouse or civil partner was given a large part of the estate to inherit and, in the event that they died, there would be no one to inherit the assets. These assets would then pass back into their estate. This may make your will unworkable. As a result, after a divorce or dissolution, you should either review your existing will or create a new one.

You can also consider making a will 'in contemplation' of your divorce or dissolution. This means that your will remains valid from the moment you start the divorce or dissolution proceedings. It will also continue to be valid after the divorce or dissolution and will contain provisions dealing with what happens to your assets on divorce or dissolution. If you want to write a will 'in contemplation' of your divorce or dissolution, Ask a lawyer.

Changing your name

Can I change my surname back to my maiden name?

Some people will take their spouse's surname or may take a double-barrelled name to accommodate both single names. In order to change your surname and revert back to your maiden or single name, you can complete a Statutory declaration of name change.

Can I change our child's name after divorce or dissolution?

England and Wales

A parent can change a child under 16's name with a 'deed of change of name' (ie a deed poll). All those with parental responsibility must consent to the name change before you can change a child's name through a deed poll. If another parent with parental responsibility does not consent then you'll need to apply to the court to ask for permission through a 'specific issue order'. The court will factor in how important a name change is in the child's best interests. As this is something taken very seriously by the courts, they will only grant an order if they deem a name change is absolutely in the best interests of the child.

For more information, read Changing the name of your child and Child custody.


A parent can change the name of a child under the age of 16 provided they have parental responsibility for that child. If more than one person has parental responsibilities for the child, they must all agree to the change of name. Different forms need to be used to apply for a child’s name change depending on the age of the child. For more information, read the National Records of Scotland’s guidance on name changes.

For more information, read Changing the name of your child.

If you have any questions about changing your child’s name, Ask a lawyer

Getting remarried or entering into a new civil partnership

If you are planning on getting remarried or entering into a new civil partnership, consider completing a Prenuptial agreement for England and Wales. Ask a lawyer if you need a prenuptial agreement for Scotland. 

For more information, read ​​Considerations before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

Ask a lawyer

Get quick answers from lawyers, easily.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer On Call Solicitors

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. As a member you can:

Create, customise, and share unlimited legal documents

RocketSign® your documents quickly and securely

Ask any legal question and get an answer from a lawyer

Have your documents reviewed by a legal pro**

Get legal advice, drafting and dispute resolution HALF OFF* with Rocket Legal+

Your first business and trade mark registrations are FREE* with Rocket Legal+

**Subject to terms and conditions. Document Review not available for members in their free trial.