The tenancy agreement contains what the tenant can and cannot do at the property.
Whilst the landlord is responsible for the structure and exterior of the property, the tenant must keep the property clean.
Other general tenant responsibilities include:
- paying the rent
- paying all utility bills and sometimes council tax and water rates
- keeping the interior in good repair
- not subletting the property (without the landlord's consent)
- allowing the landlord to carry out periodic checks to inspect the property
- fixing any breakages
- not damaging the property
- ensuring that any guests are well behaved
On a practical point, at the start of the letting, make sure the tenant understands what repairs and decoration (if any) they are required to carry out under the agreement to avoid any confusion.
For more information on the rights tenants have, read Tenant’s rights.