Profile information Account settings
Sign up Sign in

Make your Occupation contract

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest

Make your Occupation contract

Get started

Can a landlord vary the rent?

Landlords can vary the rent under an occupation contract. The process for doing so differs depending on the type of occupation contract.

Fixed-term standard contracts

Under a fixed-term standard contract, the rent can be varied at any time by agreement between the landlord and the contract holder. This means that the amount of rent payable under a fixed-term standard contract can be varied if the landlord and contract holder agree to the variation.

If a fixed-term standard contract is varied, the landlord must provide the contract holder with either:  

  • a written statement of the term(s) varied, or

  • a written statement of the contract as varied

This must be provided to the contract holder within 14 days of the date on which the contract is varied.

A fixed-term standard contract may also include a provision outlining how the landlord can vary the rent during the fixed term. Landlords should follow the terms of any such rent review clause and give the contract holder written notice of the new rent amount. It is recommended that rent review clauses ensure landlords give contract holders at least 2 months’ notice of a rent increase.

Secure contracts and periodic standard contracts

A landlord can vary the rent paid under a secure contract or periodic standard contract once every 12 months. They can do this by giving the contract holder notice of the rent variation using Form RHW12. This form should specify the new rent and the date on which the rent is to become payable.

Landlords must give contract holders at least 2 months’ notice of the rent increase.

Note that contract holders renting social housing under a secure contract will only have their rent increased in line with the Welsh Government’s Social Rent Policy.

Ask a lawyer if you have any questions about variations of rent.

What should contract holders do if they’re told their rent is increasing?

If a contract holder receives notice of a rent variation, they should consider whether they can afford the new rent.

Contract holders who are worried that they may not be able to pay the new rent should speak to their landlord as soon as possible and try to come to an agreement. If no agreement can be reached, they should seek further advice (eg from Citizens Advice, Shelter, or a lawyer). 

If contract holders can afford the varied rent, they should make arrangements to start paying new rent from the date specified in the notice (eg by updating any standing orders). 

Contract holders claiming benefits should also notify their Housing Benefit office. Those claiming Universal Credit should also notify the Department for Work and Pensions.

Negotiating a rent variation

Landlords should always consider whether imposing a rent increase is beneficial to them. When rent is increased, a contract holder may no longer wish to rent a dwelling and the landlord will have to invest time and money into finding a replacement contract holder. This may be especially inconvenient if the landlord has a good relationship with the current contract holders. 

Generally, contract holders will want their rent to remain the same or to be increased by a small amount only. As a result, it may be beneficial for both parties to negotiate the rent increase; for example, by finding an increased level of rent both parties are happy with.

Ask a lawyer

Get quick answers from lawyers, easily.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer On Call Solicitors

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your Premium Membership now and get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You’ll get:

All the legal documents you need—customise, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions* and get a response within one business day

Access to legal guides on 100s of topics

A 30-minute consultation with a lawyer about any new issue

33% off hourly rates or a fixed price if you need further legal help

*Subject to terms and conditions