Profile information Account settings
Help Contact us
Sign up Log in
Help Contact us

MAKE YOUR FREE Stock transfer form

  • Make your document in minutes
  • Access from any device
  • Securely sign online
Make document

How to make a Stock transfer form

A stock transfer form is the standard document required for the transfer of shares in the United Kingdom.

Use a stock transfer form where you wish to transfer (eg gift or sell) shares in UK limited companies. The stock transfer form records the details of the share transfer.

Use this stock transfer form:

  • when you want to transfer ordinary shares in a private limited company

  • where you are the sole owner of the shares, the joint owner of the shares or where a limited company owens the shares

  • for share transfers of fully paid shares

  • if you are based in England, Scotland or Wales

This stock transfer form covers:

  • who is transferring the shares

  • who the shares are being transferred to

  • the number of shares being transferred

  • how much is being paid for the shares

  • stamp duty certificates

You will need to create a stock transfer form where you wish to transfer shares in a company to someone else.

Stamp duty is a statutory tax payable on the transfer of shares by stock transfer form. You must typically pay stamp duty on shares if you buy shares using a stock transfer form and the transaction is over £1,000. You pay 0.5% stamp duty on the sale price. For more information, read Stock transfer form.

If the share transfer is exempt from stamp duty or the consideration (ie the value paid for the shares) given for the shares is not chargeable (eg if the shares are given as a gift), one of the stock transfer form certificates (Certificate 1 or Certificate 2) needs to be completed. Which certificate needs to be completed, depends on what was paid for the shares.

If the shares are being transferred for no money or where you are claiming stamp duty relief, you won’t need to complete either certificate. If you’re claiming a relief you’ll need to send the completed stock transfer form, together with details of the relief you’re claiming to HMRC for them to consider the relief claim.

Certificate 1 of the stock transfer form is completed if the money paid for the transfer of shares in £1,000 or less. Where Certificate 1 is completed, no stamp duty will be due on the transaction.

Certificate 2 should be completed if an exemption applies or the consideration being charged for the shares is not chargeable (eg the shares are transferred as a gift or the shares are transferred as security for a loan). For more information, read Stock transfer form.

Yes, the stock transfer form needs to be dated.

Once the document has been signed by the relevant individual(s), the date of completion needs to be recorded on the stock transfer form’s ‘Date’ field. The date of completion will depend on the number of individuals signing the document.

Where only one person is signing the stock transfer form, the date of completion is the date they sign the document. Where more than one person is signing the stock transfer form, the date of completion is the date the last party signs the document. 

For more information, see the Make it legal checklist for stock transfer forms.

Send your stock transfer form to the Stamp Office within 30 days of the stock transfer form being signed and dated. Where stamp duty is payable, stamp duty has to be paid within 30 days of the stock transfer form being signed and dated. 

Once HMRC has checked your stock transfer form and confirmed your stamp duty payments, they will send you an email including a letter:

  • Confirming receipt of Stamp Duty

  • Detailing the transactions HMRC are confirming receipt for and the reference codes

  • Giving assurance that HMRC will not pursue a penalty against the Registrar for registering the new ownership of the shares

You must send this letter, the stock transfer form and share certificate to the registrar of the company you have bought shares in. The registrar will then issue you with your own share certificate.

For more information on the transfer of shares, read Share transfers and issuing new shares.

Ask a lawyer for advice if:

  • you are the registered holders’ personal representative, attorney or deputy

  • an agent is acting on behalf of the buyer or seller

  • the company isn’t a limited company

  • the shares being transferred are unpaid or partially paid

  • the shares being sold aren’t ordinary shares

  • the company isn’t based in England, Wales or Scotland

This stock transfer form is governed by the law of England, Wales and Scotland.

Other names for Stock transfer form

Share transfer form, Stock transfer document, Share transfer document.

We use cookies to provide the best experience