Share with your friends










Submit
Rocket Lawyer news about business law

#Smallbiz Wrap: More Games, Less Punching

Another week, another round up comprised of business stories we loved combined with one-liners you tolerate. It’s an eclectic mix this time around, as we cover everything from the HR lessons of Mad Men to A/B testing to how your customers are shopping for your product.

We do this every Friday, so if you have a great story you’ve read (or written) or just something you want to pass along, feel free to leave it in the comments or hit us up on Twitter (we’re @rocketlawyer, of course). Happy reading.


Punching dudes at the office: ILLEGAL. That and other legal lessons we learned from Mad Men. (Note: this is an infographic. Note 2: here there be spoilers)

Turns out that high self-esteem isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Tell me I look fat in these jeans.

80% of your customers are shopping on their smart phones. The other 20%, presumably, are playing Snake.

Is your startup’s market techies or “normals”? And if it’s the latter, why are you marketing to techies? And if you’re a techie, please come up with a better word than “normals.” That’s just gross.

Shakespeare said all the world’s a stage. But as mobile badges, Four Square mayors, and ethereal, binary rewards become more pervasive, is all the world suddenly a game? If so, I call Marvin Gardens.

Does your startup need a hacker and a hustler? It’s worth considering. But for the record, your employees say you need an on-site masseuse. And more craft beer. And a softer sofa.

Don’t ask for your employees’ social media passwords. It’s against the law in many states (including California just this week) and I’m gonna let you in on a secret: it’s just a bunch of cat pictures.

Most web companies run A/B tests. Here are 19 FAQs to help your company fine tune your approach. And for the record, I disagree with the article’s advice about “When my version wins in an A/B test against a colleague should I rub it in his face?” Because the answer is “Why WOULDN’T you?” Nothing fosters a healthy team environment like smugness and taunting.

Good design is good business. Also known as “That’s Why You Didn’t Buy a Pontiac Aztek”

RELATED POSTS

Comments are closed.