We’re all busy–but there are some ‘to dos’ that you always make time for. You fill up your car with gas before you run out, do your taxes to stay on the good side of the IRS, and go grocery shopping to make sure your kids aren’t eating McDonald’s every night. But what about the longer-term things you need to do for your family?
One of those crucial tasks is writing a Will and estate plan. Yet many people are going without. According to our latest survey, a majority of Americans (61%) don’t have a Last Will, and the main reason people don’t have one is because they “have not gotten around to it yet.”
Every year, we spend April helping thousands of users create their Wills. But really, everyone should be have one, and Rocket Lawyer makes it simple and affordable to get yours done today. With a plan in place, you can protect your family and get back to doing the things that give you joy, with the people you love. So no more excuses! If you’re ready to take the first step to protect your family, visit our Wills and Estate Planning Center today.
Check out our infographic to learn more.
Here are some key findings from our 2013 Make a Will month survey:
- 70% of Americans with children under 18 living in the household do not have a Will
- 55% of Americans who do not have a will just haven’t gotten around to making one
- 84% of single/never married Americans do not have a Will
- 34% of Americans aged 55 and older do not have a Will
- 62% of Americans say one of the most important reasons to create a Will is to ensure their assets are passed on to the right people
- 38% of Americans say one of the most important reasons to create a Will is to prevent family disputes
- 40% of Americans say one of the most important reasons to create a Will is to specify funeral/last wishes
- 93% of Americans with digital assets don’t know or are misinformed about what will happen to those assets when they die
- 28% of Americans would rather do anything else than create a Will
If you’re one of the many people who hasn’t made a Will yet, consider this: who would take care of your kids if something were to happen to you? Do you want your family to argue or get into a legal battle about your estate when you’re gone? Of course not. That’s why a Will and estate plan is a must for every adult, and every family.
Ready to start protecting your family? Get started today with a Free Last Will.
For more information, please see our press release.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Rocket Lawyer from March 19th – 21st, 2013 among 2,076 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Kristin Farrell, rocketlawyer (at) bordersgratehouse.com.