Being a small business owner isn’t an easy job—you probably work long hours and take on new challenges daily–but you also get to reap the rewards. So how are things going for your business? From your sense of optimism, to the kinds of legal issues that affect you most, we wanted to know what small business owners were thinking at the beginning of 2013. We asked 700 small business owners, like you, to find out.
Check out our infographic and see how your small business stacks up.
Do any of the results surprise you? We thought is was especially interesting to find out:
Are things looking up or down?
- Small businesses are stepping into the new year with a smile. An overwhelming majority (81 percent) think that 2013 will be a better year than 2012.
- Even though small businesses are optimistic, things could be better for workers seeking employment with these small employers. Out of the small businesses we polled, only 35% are planning to hire in the next 6 months.
- Things are looking especially bright for Millennials. Most small business owners in the 18 to 30 age bracket agreed that their businesses grew last year (68 percent). Hiring plans for this group are more upbeat too, with 42 percent planning to bring on new workers in the next six months.
Is the economy still a concern?
- The economy is still top-of-mind for small business owners–53 percent think that keeping the economic recovery on track should be President Obama’s top priority.
What else can government do for you?
- 39 percent of our respondents want new tax breaks.
- Another 37 percent think incentives for entrepreneurship would be most helpful.
Did you have trouble with the law?
- Legal issues can often be a sticking point for small business owners, and in 2012, 55 percent faced a legal problem. Contract negotiations were the biggest culprit (23 percent), followed by collection problems (14.5 percent) and real estate transactions (26.9 percent).
So how does your small business stack up to the numbers? Leave us a comment if you agree or are having a different experience this year.
If you’re one of the many small business owners facing a legal issue, we’re here to help you take care of it the right way. Visit our Small Business Center for the legal help you need to run your business.
For full survey results, please see our press release.
If you’d like to share this infographic on your own blog or website, please use the embed code below.