The first thing you need to do is appoint your executors (or executrixes). Your executors are the people who will carry out your wishes after your death. You can have up to four executors and they can also be beneficiaries of your Last will and testament.
Their roles include:
- making your funeral arrangements in accordance with your instructions;
- working out what your estate is worth;
- deciding whether or not there is any Inheritance Tax to pay on your estate;
- contacting HM Revenue & Customs to pay any tax which is owing; and
- applying to the Probate Registry for the Grant of Representation of your will.