Hero image

How to make sure your wedding runs smoothly

Planning a wedding takes a lot of time and effort and can be quite costly. To make sure you get to enjoy your big day, and that everything (including anything post-wedding) runs as smoothly as possible, follow our guide. 

Enter into binding contracts

If you are planning your wedding, you’ll likely need to hire businesses to provide goods or services. For example, you may wish to:

  • book a wedding venue
  • engage a wedding planner to help you plan your wedding
  • hire a florist to provide your flowers
  • book a photographer to capture photos of your wedding
  • hire a caterer to provide food for your wedding
  • book a DJ or band to provide music at your reception

Regardless of who you’re dealing with, it’s important that you enter into legally binding contracts. This helps protect you and ensures that you have a clear record of the terms you agreed to.

You can create the following documents with Rocket Lawyer to help you plan your wedding:

If you need any other documents, Ask a lawyer for further assistance.

Consider a prenup (or postnup)

When you get married, most of your belongings (known as ‘assets’) become ‘matrimonial property’. In the unfortunate event that your marriage breaks down and you get divorced, any matrimonial property can be divided between the soon-to-be ex-spouses.

To protect your belongings and prevent them from being divided if your relationship breaks down, you can consider entering into a Prenuptial agreement. This document is an agreement between you and your partner, setting out how belongings are to be divided in case of a divorce.

For more information on prenups, read How to make a prenuptial agreement and Considerations before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

If you change your mind after getting married, you can always consider entering into a Postnuptial agreement.

Change your name 

The process for changing your name typically involves using a Statutory declaration of name change or deed poll. However, if you want to change your surname after getting married, the process is slightly different. 

To change your name after marriage, simply send your marriage certificate, along with a covering letter explaining that you wish to have your surname changed to that of your spouse, to all organisations who will need to update their records. This includes Government bodies, like the Passport Office, and any businesses you have accounts with.

Bear in mind that some official authorities will require an original marriage certificate, for example, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). As a result, it’s advisable that you get several marriage certificates on the wedding day so that organisations can be notified of your name change quickly and conveniently.

For more information, read Changing your name.

Update your will 

If you have just gotten married, or are about to get married, it is a good idea to update (or create) your Last will and testament. If you have never made a will, it’s a good idea to make a will when you get married. If you have previously made a will, you should review your decisions. This helps make sure that you leave your belongings to the intended recipients.

If you would like a will drafted from you, consider using our Will Drafting Service from £150+VAT.

For more information on wills, read Reasons to make a will and Making your will.


Remember that you can always Ask a lawyer if you have any questions or concerns.


Rebecca Neumann
Latest posts by Rebecca Neumann (see all)