About Rocket Lawyer
We believe everyone deserves access to affordable and simple legal services.
Founded in 2008, Rocket Lawyer is the largest and most widely used online legal service platform in the world. With offices in North America and Europe, Rocket Lawyer has helped over 20 million people create over 50 million legal documents, and get their legal questions answered.
We are in a unique position as a legal technology company in the UK to provide legal advice directly to our customers as an unregulated entity. By combining expert legal advice from solicitors and paralegals with technology Rocket Lawyer UK is accelerating its mission to provide access to justice to small businesses and consumers who are currently excluded from the market. We are investing in our technology and hiring a team of solicitors to take on this challenge!
About the Role
Rocket Lawyer pioneered online legal services in the United States and United Kingdom, and we have recently launched in France, Spain and Netherlands. The proprietary and patented Rocket Lawyer technology platform enables the creation of legal documentation and delivery of legal advice from lawyers knowledgeable in local laws, in any language. You’ll be based in Shoreditch, London, the biggest tech cluster in Europe, working with the UK legal team.
As a Company & Commercial Solicitor, you will be primarily responsible for managing the provision of legal advice to our small business customers, including leading and growing the legal team, and privind advice yourself to small businesses. This advice is provided by a growing team of freelance lawyers who provide advice to customers for Rocket Lawyer. A secondary responsibility is to work with the product development and legal operations teams to develop and scale our legal advice platform. You must therefore be a tech savvy, entrepreneurial company & commercial lawyer who can work independently, without supervision, and to collaborate across continents with other legal advice teams. You will be managing a busy team, with support from the legal operations team, and leading the provision of legal advice to our small business customers.
This is not a traditional role. Rocket Lawyer is innovating the way legal advice and services are provided. We are applying technology to modernise the way legal services are delivered, increasingly automating legal advice and building a large scale platform for a network of lawyers to work with small business and consumers online to provide affordable legal advice.
There are no typical customers as we advise all sorts of micro and small businesses, but the focus to date has been on start-ups, tech companies and ecommerce businesses. Customers need advice on typical small business company & commercial matters, and broader business issues including employment and intellectual property.
The emphasis is on scalability, so using technology and a growing network of external lawyers to deliver high volume, low-cost, quality legal advice. This position would not suit a lawyer looking for complex high value work, but more a tech driven lawyer looking at innovative ways to unbundle and automate legal advice at a large scale.
Clients are looking for the full spectrum of Company & Commercial work, typically including:
- Shareholder agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Services and collaboration agreements
- Terms & conditions of business
This is an exciting opportunity for a Company & Commercial lawyer who is keen to help transform the delivery of legal services. Excellent career progression prospects exist for the right candidate, with an opportunity to develop and lead large scale legal service provision in the UK.
- Qualified, practicing company & commercial solicitor – 3+ year PQE
- Additional experience in employment law a bonus
- Commercially astute, with an ability to understand clients’ broader needs in addition to excellent technical legal expertise
- Obsessed with new technology, with an entrepreneurial flair and be able to translate that into new ways of delivering legal services
- Work autonomously to manage the caseload and risks of the team
- Leverage and supervise paralegals to provide lower cost, quality legal advice
- Manage external consulting solicitors, ensuring the provision of quality legal advice
- Contribute to the development of the Rocket Lawyer precedent database
- Support marketing and business development activity, regularly writing and blogging
- Work with product development experts to build out the first, global legal advice platform, and with business leaders to scale the global legal advice business
Please click here to apply.
- IR35 changes from 6 April explained - 06/04/2021
- 5 key employment law changes you should be aware of - 31/03/2021
- International Women’s Day: celebrating women business owners - 08/03/2021