Mijn documenten Account instellingen
Hulp Tarieven
Registreren Inloggen
Hulp Tarieven

Checklist for Ukrainian refugees

Біженці з України: Прочитайте відповіді на поширені запитання

The security situation in Ukraine is deteriorating rapidly and it is currently unclear how it will develop in the near future. In light of this situation, we have developed an FAQ for Ukrainian refugees so that they will know what to expect upon arrival in the Netherlands and they will have access to all the information that is relevant in their situation. 

Last updated: 22 March 2022

No, you do not need to report to the Dutch Immigration Service IND when you arrive in the Netherlands.

You can contact the Red Cross via a WhatsApp helpline to receive additional information. Volunteers will answer the questions in the language they enter. For questions in Ukrainian and English you can call 06 48 15 80 53. If the Red Cross cannot help you, you will be referred to other agencies.

At the moment, places have been set up at Utrecht Central Station and Amsterdam RAI where train passengers from Ukraine are received by the Red Cross, among others. From there, the refugees are taken to their lodging address or an emergency shelter.

You can also report to the municipality directly if you are looking for shelter. Special emergency reception centres have been opened by the municipalities, for example in Groningen, Utrecht, Amsterdam, The Hague and Maastricht. You can also ask for assistance at all other municipalities. 

The Royal Netherlands Marechaussee refers people who need shelter at the border to locations where there is room. Refugees will soon be able to register centrally. The central point at which this is is yet to be announced. 

The security regions are preparing larger-scale reception together with the municipalities.

Yes, pets can be brought to the shelter. There the municipality will discuss the options for taking care of your pet. The municipality will try to let the pet stay with you. Unfortunately, sometimes this is not possible. You may need to see a vet to have your pet vaccinated.

No, residents of Ukraine with a biometric passport (a passport containing a chip on which personal data are stored) can travel freely to the EU without a visa. You do not have to apply for asylum. You can stay here for a maximum of 180 days. That is why people from Ukraine do not have to go to an asylum seekers center in the first instance. The government is currently investigating which procedure is most suitable for refugees from Ukraine. 

Due to the uncertain security situation in the Ukraine, the Dutch Immigration Service IND currently does not decide on asylum applications from Ukrainians for the next 6 months (starting 28 February). As a result, the IND extends the decision period for current and new asylum applications by 1 year. When the security situation in the Ukraine becomes more clear, the IND will assess which Ukrainians are entitled to an asylum permit. 

As a refugee from Ukraine, you can stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of 180 days without a residence permit. You do not need a residence permit for now. The EU is working on a new scheme especially for Ukrainians. 

The scale of the influx of refugees from Ukraine creates a clear risk to EU Member States' asylum systems. They will not be able to process it without adverse effects on their efficient operation and interests of the refugees. The EU Commission therefore rapidly proposed to activate the Temporary Protection Directive. On the basis of this Directive people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine will receive protection in the Member States. The practical significance of this guideline is now being further explored. 

No, all the provisions mentioned here also apply for people with a Ukrainian residence permit. For example, a Syrian with an asylum permit in Ukraine or a student from Nigeria with a study permit in Ukraine. So the provisions apply to everyone who is entitled to stay in Ukraine.

Yes, the government is currently working on a package of financial provisions for refugees from Ukraine. These provisions are at least equal to what asylum seekers receive in the regular asylum process.

Yes, Ukrainian refugees can receive medical help. Read more information about healthcare and healthcare costs for Ukrainians in the Netherlands.

Yes, medical care for Ukrainian refugees is reimbursed. This is done on the basis of the Subsidy Scheme for medically necessary care for the uninsured.

At the moment Ukrainian refugees are only allowed to work in the Netherlands if their employer is in possession of a work permit, but this may change soon. The government is now investigating the possibilities of temporarily broadening access to the labor market for Ukrainians.

In the Netherlands all children up to the age of 16 are required to attend school (in some cases up till 18 years). It is difficult to send refugee children to school immediately after arrival. The municipality is working on a process to get your children to school as quickly as possible.

If you are at least 18 years of age and have an asylum residence permit, then you can apply for family reunification for the following family members:

  • your adult spouse or unmarried partner with whom you are having a permanent and exclusive relationship
  • your underage child or your partner's child if it belongs to your family (this applies to biological children but also to adoptive or foster children)
  • adult children who have always belonged to your family and who still belong to your family, who are not married and who do not have a relationship themselves 

If you are younger than 18 years old and have an asylum residence permit, you may apply for family reunification for your biological father and mother, minor brothers and sisters, and in some cases adult brothers and sisters. Different procedures and conditions apply to this case, and this may involve costs. 

If you want to apply for a residence permit for your family members, the following conditions must be met:

  • you must have an independent asylum residence permit
  • you must submit your application within the journey in connection with family reunification period (this is 3 months and starts on the date printed on your asylum residence permit)
  • your family members were already part of your family abroad (this is called ‘family ties')
  • your family members must be able to prove their identity and the family ties with you with documents
  • you have mentioned your family members during the asylum procedure