When you change physicians or health care providers, you'll want to transfer copies of your medical records to your new provider so that they'll know your medical history and can give you better care. Or, you might just want a copy of a specific record forwarded to someone like a specialist.
Whatever your reason for transferring medical records, it's a fairly simple process—just fill out a Medical Records Transfer Form and send it to your doctor, clinic, medical group, or health care organization, along with directions as to where to send the copies. You'll need to include the following information:
- Your name, and any other names under which your records may be filed
- Contact information (address, email, phone number)
- Your social security number
- Your birthdate
- Any specifics about which records to release
- The expiration date of this authorization to transfer records
It's quick and easy to create a Medical Records Transfer Form online with Rocket Lawyer.
This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.