Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer a Question

You'll hear back in one business day.

Ask a Lawyer a Question

Get started

If you become a crime victim while traveling overseas, immediately contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Consular officers are available 24/7 for emergency assistance.  

The U.S. Embassy can do many things for crime victims.  They can replace a stolen passport, contact family and friends, and locate medical help.  They can also help with explaining the local criminal justice process and obtain information about your case.  The embassy can help obtain local and U.S. information on victim compensation and assist you in finding a suitable lawyer.  

Although the embassy can be extremely helpful, they have limitations. They cannot investigate crimes, or provide legal advice, or represent you in court. They also cannot pay for your medical expenses and cannot translate or interpret for you.  

After reporting the incident to the embassy, you may also need to contact the local police to report the crime and to get additional assistance.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services