Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer a Question

You'll hear back in one business day.

Here are the three most commonly known types of non immigrant visas.

Non-immigrant Work Visas

Any foreign citizens wishing to visit the U.S. temporarily for work must apply for a B-1 Business Visitor Visa.  These visas allow foreign nationals to work in the U.S. for a set period of time.  The B-1 is used for short events such as a convention, a conference, or negotiations.  To acquire a B-1 Business Visitor Visa, you will need an employer directly from the United States.

Non-immigrant Student Visas

Any foreign citizens wishing to visit the U.S. for education must apply for an F-1 or M-1 Student Visa.  These visas allow foreign nationals to study in the U.S. for a set period of time.  F-1 specifies visitors who are of academic or language  student status and non-immigrants.  M-1 denotes visitors for vocational education.  When applying for a U.S. student visa, be prepared to provide transcriptions and diplomas from previous institutions.  You must also provide evidence of financial support during your stay.  Interviews are required for those who are 14 through 79 years old.  If you are 13 or younger or 80 or older, you probably will not be required to have an interview.
Non-Immigrant Tourist Visas
Any foreign citizens wishing to visit the U.S. for tourism must apply for a B-2 Tourist Visa.  Most foreign nationals are eligible for this kind of visa.  However, visitor visas are not required for citizens of countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Programwho wish to stay in the U.S. for less than 90 days.  For stays longer than 90 days, a visa is required, and the visitor may apply to change his or her status to another non-immigrant visa or adjust his or her status to become a permanent resident, also known as a Green Card.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your Premium Membership now and get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You’ll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts! Incorporate for FREE + hire a lawyer with up to 40% off*

*Free incorporation for new members only and excludes state fees. Lawyer must be part of our nationwide network to receive discount.