Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal advice from Rocket Lawyer network attorneys. We make it affordable and simple.

Ask a Lawyer

Get started

You also may be required to report the health and status of your child to their home country after the adoption.  Some countries have laws that enforce this up to several years after the adoption.  The country wants to ensure that the child is protected and happy.  Some countries have provisional adoptions.  This means that instead of a post-adoption report, the progress of the child and family  will be monitored before the adoption is finalized.  

You should make sure that you are ready to handle the post-adoption requirements of the country you are adopting from.  Delays with these reports could hamper other U.S. parents trying to adopt in the future.  Also, it may prevent your adoption from being finalized.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services