Rocket Lawyer On Call® Terms of Service
Agreement between You and Rocket Lawyer Incorporated
These On Call Terms and Conditions are an agreement (“Agreement”) between you (“Eligible Member”) and Rocket Lawyer Incorporated ("Rocket Lawyer") regarding your use of the Rocket Lawyer On Call® (“On Call”) benefits and features as set forth below. These On Call Terms and Conditions, and the RocketLawyer.com Terms and Conditions, which covers your use of the information, software, products, and services contained in or available through the RocketLawyer.com website (and together, the “Agreement”), constitute a legal agreement between you and Rocket Lawyer regarding your access to, or use of On Call. On Call is offered to you conditioned on your acceptance of the terms, conditions, and notices contained herein. Your purchase of a Rocket Lawyer Legal Plan constitutes your acceptance and agreement to all such terms, conditions, and notices. These On Call Terms and Conditions contain a dispute resolution provision that includes arbitration and that may affect your rights. Please read this entire Agreement carefully.
Rocket Lawyer On Call® & Legal Plans
You may purchase a monthly or annual Rocket Lawyer Legal Plan. Rocket Lawyer Legal Plans may include certain access to Legal Information, which includes, but is not limited to, questions, answers, articles and legal forms that are available from time to time on the RocketLawyer.com website. For Eligible Members (as defined below), Legal Plans may also include access to legal services from Rocket Lawyer On Call attorneys on the terms and conditions as described herein. You may not transfer or assign your Legal Plan to another party; provided, however, that certain benefits may allow an Eligible Member to extend coverage to your Eligible Family Members (as defined below), or your designated business. The "Effective Date" for each Eligible Family Member shall be the date on which the Eligible Member elects to extend coverage to such family member.
For the purposes of this Agreement:
1. The term “Eligible Member” includes any customer who purchases a Rocket Lawyer Legal Plan.
2. The term "Eligible Family Member" includes: (a) an Eligible Member's spouse or domestic partner; (b) a dependent individual under the age of 25; (c) a dependent child, regardless of age, who is incapable of sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical disability; and (d) dependent individuals living in the Eligible Member's home such as a parent or grandparent. Each Eligible Family Member to whom you extend coverage under this Agreement is considered an Eligible Member under On Call and is bound by the terms of this Agreement.
3. Eligible Members may have access to pre-negotiated billing rates and service commitments from a nationwide network of attorneys. Eligible Members may receive the benefits described below from a third party independent attorney or law firm (“Service Provider”), but, not from any employee or agent of Rocket Lawyer. Rocket Lawyer does not provide legal services directly. All such services are delivered in connection with a separate relationship between the Service Provider and you, to which Rocket Lawyer is not a party. Each Service Provider is solely responsible for the legal services provided directly to you, using a separate attorney engagement agreement between you and the Service Provider. You acknowledge that the services provided will be limited to your specific request and based on the information you provide to the Service Provider. Further, you understand that any information or advice provided by the Service Provider does not constitute a guarantee of success in your legal situation.
Benefits & Features
The following services may be available at no charge from your Service Provider:
- A set limit of free legal matter consultations up to thirty (30) minutes for each new legal matter with a Service Provider per year;
- A set limit of legal document review consultations for complete documents, each up to ten (10) pages in length each:
- Legal documents will be eligible for review if such documents meet the 10-page maximum requirement and such documents have the same font size and style as generated by the RocketLawyer.com website (“Legal Document Requirements”). Legal documents that do not meet the Legal Document Requirements may be reviewed at the Service Provider’s discounted rate;
Rocket Lawyer will negotiate discounted rates for certain services from Service Providers and publish such pre-negotiated rates and services on the Rocket Lawyer website, if and when available to Eligible Members. Flat rate services may be available in select states, but are not guaranteed in any market. If an Eligible Member hires a Service Provider, such Service Provider has contracted to charge the pre-negotiated rate for legal services that go beyond the benefits and features above. Depending on the matter this may be a flat rate or where hourly rates apply, no more than $125.00 per hour, or 40% off the Service Provider’s usual and customary hourly rate, whichever is greater.
If an Eligible Member is not satisfied with a Service Provider, such Eligible Member may select an alternative Service Provider using the Lawyer Directory.
Other fee arrangements shall be negotiated directly between the user and the Service Provider, as needed.
Important: Service Providers may require an initial retainer and/or separate attorney engagement agreement prior to delivery of services. Services Providers may also require additional payment for certain services and out-of-pocket expenses.
Exclusions from On Call
The following items are specifically excluded from the Legal Plans, and are not benefits of On Call:
- Any action that directly or indirectly involves Rocket Lawyer Incorporated or any of its affiliates, directors, agents, employees, or other Rocket Lawyer Service Providers;
- Any action that directly or indirectly involves any Service Provider; provided, however, that a Service Provider may, at its sole discretion and risk, represent an Eligible Member in a matter in which another Service Provider is representing another party as legal counsel;
- Legal matters in which a Program Sponsor of the Eligible Member in question has an adverse interest, or in which any director, officer, agent or employee thereof has an adverse interest. For the purposes of this provision, “Program Sponsor” is any company, organization or affiliation that purchases on behalf of its members a Rocket Lawyer legal plan through wholesale channels, retail channels or otherwise;
- Any matter involving the laws of jurisdictions outside of the United States or its subdivisions;
- Any matter that, as determined by the Service Provider in the Service Provider’s sole discretion, is frivolous or illegal in nature or objective;
- Any matter or requested service that, as determined by the Service Provider in the Service Provider’s sole discretion, lacks sufficient merit to warrant pursuit, or that has been raised an excessive or unreasonable number of times without a change in circumstances;
- Any matter that is frivolous, immaterial or illegal in nature, as determined by Rocket Lawyer or the Service Provider in their sole discretion;
- Any legal matter involving an alleged violent crime;
- Any matter for which the Eligible Member is currently represented by other legal counsel.
Rocket Lawyer On Call and Users; Disclaimers
Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm, and the employees of Rocket Lawyer and participating attorneys of the Question & Answer product are not acting as your attorney. Rocket Lawyer operates the RocketLawyer.com website as an online venue to facilitate communication between potential users of legal services and legal professionals. Rocketlawyer.com offers general information about the law and does not provide any legal advice.
By using Rocket Lawyer On Call, including the Question & Answer product, you acknowledge that you are initiating contact with prospective Service Providers and you agree to allow certain personally identifying information to be shared with participating attorneys and Rocket Lawyer. However, the use of Rocketlawyer.com, including without limitation, the Question & Answer product, free consults, free document reviews, do not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship between you and Rocket Lawyer, any Rocket Lawyer employee, or any attorney participating in Rocket Lawyer’s Question & Answer product, or providing free consults and free document reviews under the Rocket Lawyer Legal Plan. Any such use is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. Any information provided on Rocketlawyer.com is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such information. Any communication with Rocket Lawyer or on Rocketlawyer.com is not subject to an attorney’s duty of confidentiality and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. For the avoidance of doubt, by using Rocketlawyer.com, you hereby expressly waive any duty of confidentiality that may be implied to all of your communications on Rocketlawyer.com.
Rocket Lawyer will not influence or interfere in any manner with the Service Provider’s independence of professional judgment.
By submitting such content and other materials to the Question & Answer product, you acknowledge that you may not receive any response from a participating attorney or that any response may not answer or address the scope or nature of such communication. You acknowledge that any response(s) to such communications is not instantaneous, and the return and receipt of any such response is outside the control of RocketLawyer and is at the individual discretion of each participating attorney(s) selected to receive such content and other materials. Because of the limited scope, duration, and brevity of the communication(s) exchanged between Participating Attorney(s) and Eligible Members within the Question & Answer product, participating attorneys who receive questions may not have had an opportunity to conduct an independent investigation relating to your transmission, to review pertinent documents, or carefully research the applicable laws. Therefore, you acknowledge and understand that any information provided by a participating attorney is preliminary and subject to modification based on information the participating attorney may not yet have, and could contain errors or omissions.
Rocket Lawyer reserves the right to deny the transmission of attorney responses submitted through the Question & Answer product for any reason. Any such attorney responses should only be used for informational purposes only. You acknowledge that you should not rely solely on obtaining information from the Question & Answer product and are encouraged to find legal representation through Rocket Lawyer On Call for assistance with your legal matter(s).
Rocket Lawyer does not guarantee that Eligible Members will successfully find legal representation through Rocket Lawyer On Call. Hiring an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Service Providers may provide certain information regarding legal practice areas, pricing, and experience on their Lawyer Profiles. The Lawyer Profiles are advertisements and you should read and interpret them as such. Rocket Lawyer does not investigate, verify or warrant the accuracy of such information. As stated, Service Providers are third-party independent contractors who are solely responsible for the legal service provided directly to you, not through Rocket Lawyer, using a separate attorney engagement agreement between you and the Service Provider. Rocket Lawyer is not liable for any statements, representations, ratings, endorsements, advertisements, testimonials, responses, comments, information, opinions, advice, links to any third party websites and content contained on such third party websites, or content of any other kind transmitted by Service Providers, and any such reference(s) on the RocketLawyer.com are not a sponsorship, endorsement, or recommendation by Rocket Lawyer.
As with all legal situations, you should discuss any concerns you may have regarding the legal representation with your attorney and get the costs and scope of your agreement for legal representation in writing. Most Services Providers discourage the use of e-mail for confidential or sensitive information. The Eligible Member is solely responsible for assessing the quality, integrity, and trustworthiness of all persons with whom the Eligible Member communicates regarding his or her legal needs. Each Service Provider is solely responsible to the Eligible Member for maintaining the attorney-client relationship and all legal services provided. Each Service Provider reserves the right to make independent professional judgments regarding the legal representations. Rocket Lawyer has no influence on or involvement in the professional services of the Service Providers. Rocket Lawyer makes no representation that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other attorneys. Results of an attorney’s prior legal representation do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Rocket Lawyer Legal Plans and Use
You acknowledge and agree that Rocket Lawyer may establish general guidelines regarding On Call, including without limitation, the maximum number of free legal services you may receive in a given period of time. In addition, you are responsible for all expenses incurred or other actions that may occur through your use of On Call. You also acknowledge and agree that Rocket Lawyer reserves the right to modify or amend these general guidelines at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice. The details or availability of On Call in any state is subject to change without notice.
If you are entering into this Agreement on behalf of a company or other legal entity, you represent that you have the legal authority to bind such entity to these terms, in which case the terms "you" or "your" shall refer to such entity. If you do not have such authority or if you do not agree with these On Call Terms and Conditions, you may not sign up for or use On Call. If Rocket Lawyer discovers that you do not have authority to bind the entity for which you have purchased the membership, you will be personally responsible for the obligations in this Agreement and your Rocket Lawyer account, including without limitation, any payment obligations. Rocket Lawyer is not liable for any loss or damage resulting from our reliance on any instruction, notice, document or communication, reasonably believed by us to be genuine and delivered by an authorized representative of your company. If there is reasonable doubt regarding the authenticity of any such instruction, notice, document, or communication, we may, but are not obliged to, require additional authentication from you. You must immediately alert Rocket Lawyer of any fraudulent, unauthorized, illegal, or suspicious use of On Call, or any other breach of security or unauthorized or illegal activity that you reasonably suspect.
Prohibitions on Use
State and federal laws, rules, and regulations shall be referred to as "Laws." The country, state, territory, court, or administrative agency where a Service Provider is licensed to practice law shall be referred to as "Jurisdiction."
Each Eligible Member can only use the services available through On Call if any such services do not conflict with or violate the Laws of the Eligible Member’s Jurisdiction(s). Rocket Lawyer does not intend for users to participate in On Call if it is prohibited by the Laws of the Jurisdiction(s). Any availability of the RocketLawyer.com website and On Call in the Jurisdiction(s) is not an invitation or offer by Rocket Lawyer to access or use the RocketLawyer.com website and any services in which Rocket Lawyer user's access and usage will violate any Laws of the Jurisdiction(s). By using the RocketLawyer.com website and the On Call, Eligible Member accepts sole responsibility for confirming that you or any Eligible Family Member’s use or access to the Rocket Lawyer website and On Call does not violate any Laws of the Jurisdiction(s). Rocket Lawyer reserves the right to refuse membership, or suspend or terminate a user’s account immediately and without prior notice at our discretion.
Eligible Members may not use On Call for any inappropriate or otherwise objectionable purpose as determined in Rocket Lawyer’s sole discretion, including without limitation, transmitting communications deemed to be offensive, obscene, indecent, abusive or frivolous in nature. In the event any such communications are properly brought to our attention, Rocket Lawyer reserves the right to terminate an Eligible Member’s membership and/or access to On Call immediately without prior notice.
Dispute Resolution By Binding Arbitration
The parties agree to arbitrate all disputes and claims pursuant to the Terms of Service of RocketLawyer.com.
Further, notwithstanding anything to the contrary, in the case of any conflict between any other terms and conditions of your use of any Rocket Lawyer website or service, the terms and conditions of this Agreement shall prevail. Rocket Lawyer does not manage disputes between Eligible Members and Service Providers. Eligible Members may notify Rocket Lawyer if you believe a Service Provider has violated these On Call Terms and Conditions. Eligible Members also have the right to file a complaint with your state's bar association concerning the conduct of a Service Provider.
Disclosures and Notices
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Circular 230 Tax Advice Disclosure:
To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS under Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in any communication from Rocket Lawyer (including information provided by a Service Provider offering a free consultation) is and was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matters addressed therein. Copyright and trademark notices All contents of the RocketLawyer.com website are Copyright © 2013 Rocket Lawyer Incorporated and/or its suppliers, affiliates and partners. All rights reserved.
Rocket LawyerTM and RocketLawyer.comTM are trademarks and Rocket Lawyer On Call® is a registered trademark of Rocket Lawyer Incorporated. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Notice of changes to these Terms and Conditions will be provided in the manner permitted in by the Rocket Lawyer Terms and Conditions.
Notices and procedure for making claims of copyright infringement
Pursuant to Title 17, United States Code, Section 512(c)(2), notifications of claimed copyright infringement under United States copyright law should be sent to Service Provider's Designated Agent. ALL INQUIRIES NOT RELEVANT TO THE ABOVE PROCEDURE WILL RECEIVE NO RESPONSE.
Updated December, 2013