Share with your friends

coronavirus legal documents

Coronavirus Legal Documents for Individuals & Families

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe, you may find comfort in getting your affairs in order. Whether you need to set forth your medical wishes, plan your estate, arrange pet care, or prepare to file for bankruptcy, getting the details documented can help to create peace of mind, and can protect your loved ones from having to make tough decisions on your behalf.

Amid the current global emergency, it’s even more important to make sure that you and your family are prepared for whatever this unprecedented crisis may bring. In keeping with our mission to make legal services affordable and simple, we’ve made several essential legal documents accessible free of charge alongside free COVID-19 legal advice from attorneys.

Here’s a preview of the free legal documents now available in the Rocket Lawyer Coronavirus Legal Center for Individuals & Families:

  • Advance Directive – Make a Living Will and/or Healthcare Power of Attorney to set forth your medical wishes and appoint a trusted decision-maker.
  • Last Will and Testament – Make your estate plan and designate a guardian for your minor children.
  • Pet Foster Care Agreement – Arrange temporary pet care with a foster family or organization.
  • Bankruptcy AssistantOrganize your financial information in preparation to file for bankruptcy or meet with an attorney.

Questions about the coronavirus pandemic?

Visit the Coronavirus Legal Center and ask a lawyer today.

Do I need an Advance Directive if I am not sick?

Regardless of age or medical history, every adult should have an Advance Directive. This legal document enables you to outline your wishes related to medical care, so that doctors are able to carry them out if you are unable to communicate. In addition to decisions about treatment, an Advance Directive can also allow you to choose a trusted agent to act on your behalf.

This document is governed by state law, so what is included can vary. That said, there are two types of advance directives recognized in most states: a Living Will and a Healthcare Power of Attorney. The Advance Directive on the Coronavirus Legal Center will allow you to make one or both documents.

What legal documents do parents need?

During a global health crisis, it is even more critical that your Advance Directive and Last Will and Testament are up-to-date. If you have minor children, a Last Will and Testament is the only official opportunity you have to name a guardian.

A Healthcare Power of Attorney can be helpful for parents of college students or other adult children, as it can grant you access to doctors and medical records in case your child is unable to communicate or make decisions on their own. Along the same lines, making a Living Will for yourself can protect your children from having to make those hard decisions for you.

If you are a pet parent, a Pet Foster Care Agreement can help you set up temporary care in the event that you are hospitalized or otherwise unable to be at home.

Need more help?

In addition to offering these key legal documents, the Coronavirus Legal Center for Individuals & Families is an essential resource for legal guidance in relation to government benefits such as emergency family leave, paid sick leave and unemployment benefits. Find out what relief you might be eligible for and learn how to apply. If you have more questions, talk to a lawyer.

Comments are closed.