We'll be performing maintenance on our site tonight from 10PM to midnight Pacific time. During this time, our website may be briefly unavailable to you. Thanks for your patience.

Rocket Lawyer US

Switch to Rocket Lawyer UK

We are here to help

(877) 881-0947 or Sign up | Sign in

Hello, {{username}}

Complete Account
Trial Account

Make Your Free Power of Attorney

How it works:

Build your document Save, print & share Sign it & make it legal!

Start by selecting a state.

Make Document

Power of Attorney

When you need a little help making big decisions, a Power of Attorney form (also known as a POA) allows you to give legal permission to someone else to act on your behalf. You can give someone the ability to write checks, sign official documents or handle other legal matters on your behalf. Whether you’re going to be unavailable, or you want to prepare for unexpected illness or incapacity, create a Power of Attorney to make sure the right person makes decisions for you.

Create your Power of Attorney now. It only takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Get started

Use a Power of Attorney if:

  • You want to grant authority to someone to act on your behalf in your absence.
  • You want to grant authority to someone to act on your behalf in the event you become incapacitated.
  • You want to grant authority to someone to act on your behalf in specific situation.

Sample Power of Attorney

More than just a template, our step-by-step interview process makes it easy to create a Power of Attorney

Save, sign, print, and download your document when you are done.

This document is sometimes called a Durable Power of Attorney

Other names for a Power of Attorney:

POA, Letter of Attorney, Financial Power of Attorney, Durable Power of Attorney

Additional Power of Attorney facts, tips, and information:

You need a flexible document you can tailor to your needs. Our customizable Power of Attorney form (POA) gives permission to another person or entity (your agent) to act on your behalf in legal matters. Your agent doesn't have to be a lawyer, and their power to make decisions is defined by you. A Power of Attorney can be General, granting broad powers over your affairs. Or it may be Special, allowing your agent power only over specific situations. You can also choose to make this a Durable POA, meaning that your agent's powers remain in effect if you become incompetent or incapable of handling your affairs.

Here's some information you'll need to create your own Power of Attorney:

Selecting your agents:

You’ll need to have an agent (a person acting on your behalf) who is at least eighteen years old. You may want for your agent to be a family member, a trusted, longtime friend or professional, such as your lawyer, doctor or accountant. You may grant power of attorney authority to more than one agent.

Before you start, discuss why you’re creating the Power of Attorney with the person you choose, how long you expect them to serve as your agents, and how much they’ll be paid, if anything. These terms will be included in your document, but having a conversation with your agents before creating the document can help prevent misunderstandings after they have been granted the Power of Attorney.

What you'll need:

You’ll need the addresses and phone numbers of your agents in order to complete the document. You may also want to review your existing wills, trusts, other power of attorney forms, deeds or financial documents (such as bank statements, stock or bond information), in order to make informed decisions when creating your Power of Attorney document.

Signing the document:

Lastly, to make it legal, you’ll need to have your Power of Attorney signed. Signing requirements vary from state to state -- we’ll tell you what you need to do once you’ve created your document. In some states, you’ll need to have the form signed by witnesses to your signature, or by a notary public, or by a notary public and witnesses. Note that you’ll need to have the addresses and phone numbers of the witnesses to the document, if any. Also, some notaries will charge a fee for signing, stamping or sealing a document. You must not sign the document until you have the required witnesses or notary present to observe your signature.

What if your POA agent doesn't follow your wishes?

A number of agent provisions are included in a Power of Attorney form. Agent provisions clarify issues related to how the agent handles your affairs including: misconduct, compensation, and accountings of the agent’s actions.

Updating and changing your Power of Attorney:

You can revoke a signed power of attorney at any time, regardless of the reason. For example, you may change your mind about the POA agent you selected. The revocation should be made in writing using a Revocation of Power of Attorney form, and you must provide notice to the agent under the Power of Attorney that you are revoking.

What is a Durable Power of Attorney?

Some states allow you to make your Power of Attorney document “durable.” A “durable” power of attorney is effective even if you become mentally incompetent, whereas a non-durable POA may no longer be valid in that event.

Creating a Power of Attorney online:

We provide all the popular Power of Attorney forms, such as Durable Power of Attorney, Healthcare Power of Attorney, Special Power of Attorney, and General Power of Attorney. When you create yours, remember to appoint an organized, trustworthy person as your agent and furnish them with a copy of your POA. You should also tell your agent where you keep your original Power of Attorney and have a frank discussion about what you'd done in the event you are no longer able to take care of your own health or finances.

Create your Power of Attorney now. It only takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Get started

Who it's for

Estate Planner
Heirs and Executor

How we make it simple

  • Answer easy questionsto build a custom contract.
  • Ask a lawyer to look it overif you have any questions.
  • Sign itand store your work securely.

What people are saying

It was so quick and easy to use. I started my legal document, customized it and had it ready to review and sign in just a few minutes. Susan S.
Rocket Lawyer Customer

Get legal advice

Characters remaining: 600

Get connected with a local lawyer

Members save with free consults and pre-negotiated rates. Find a lawyer