Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal advice from Rocket Lawyer network attorneys. We make it affordable and simple.

Ask a Lawyer

Get started

Before the Wedding Day

Prenuptial Agreement

Prenuptial Agreements aren't just centered around the prospect of a divorce. No, in fact, it's a practical (and important) step in disclosing each other's financial situation before getting married. Sometimes couples get married without being aware of the other's immense debt. Understanding the whole picture before combining finances into one unit is a smart way to protect everyone involved and plan for the road ahead so no one gets caught off guard.

We can help you get started with a Prenuptial Agreement today.

Name Change

There are a few ways to change your name legally after you get married. The simplest way is to do so on the marriage license. Once that's done, it's very important that you obtain new identification (e.g., social security card, driver's license, passport) and alert everyone you do business with (e.g., banks, credit cards, insurance companies) about your new name change with a Name Change Notification Letter

For The Wedding Day

Wedding Vendor Contracts

It's only natural to want your wedding day to go as perfectly as possible. Though you never know what may happen, you can make sure you get signed contracts with all your wedding vendors so that if something does happen, you will have grounds to take a vendor to court. Be sure that you specify all the necessary details in the agreement, like making sure the caterer makes enough food for your entire guest list, so that everyone is on same page.

Here are some examples of contracts you'd use for your wedding:

Liability Insurance

Most wedding venue spaces require you to sign a release from liability. If that's the case at your event space, look into getting your own form of liability insurance. More times than not, if you have homeowner's insurance, you can just add the liability insurance to your current policy. This will make sure that if someone gets injured at your wedding, you'll have insurance to cover it. After your wedding, the last thing you'll want to worry about is paying someone else's medical bills, or even a lawsuit.

After the Wedding Day

Marriage Certificate

The marriage certificate should be signed and completed after the wedding ceremony. Depending on your county, you can do it in person or even mail it to the office. And don't worry, if you ever lose your marriage certificate, you can always send in a Marriage Certificate Request Letter to get a copy.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services