Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Visit Our Divorce Center

Get divorce documents and ask a lawyer your questions.

Visit Our Divorce Center

Get started

Residency Requirements

Either the petitioner (the spouse who is filing for divorce) or respondent (the other spouse) must have lived in the state of New Jersey for at least 12 consecutive months before filing for divorce. The spouses must have experienced irreconcilable differences for at least 6 months, or have lived apart for a minimum of 18 consecutive months, without foreseeable reconciliation.

Fill out your forms

When filing for a no-fault divorce in the Chancery Division, Family Part, you'll need to complete various forms.  Everyone should complete the Petition-Marriage Form and the Summons Form, and couples with children must complete several additional forms. All the necessary forms can be obtained by contacting your local County Clerk or Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ). LSNJ's book "Divorce In New Jersey: A Self-Help Guide" contains instructions and forms designed for self-represented litigants. Call the LSNJ hotline at (888) 576-5529  to find out if you qualify for free legal help. If you're located outside of New Jersey, call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.

If both parties are in agreement with the terms of the divorce they can proceed with completing a Divorce Settlement Agreement using Rocket Lawyer's easy interview process. This document clarifies the terms of the agreement prior to proceeding with starting the action.

Make Copies of your Forms

Once you have filled out the appropriate forms, make at least five copies of each. The original set and two copies will be sent to the court, and two should be kept for your records and for later use. Make sure all the blanks of your complaint and other documents have been completed and filled in, and each document has been signed and dated.

Bring your Completed Forms to your Court Clerk's Office and Pay the Fee

You'll also want to make sure you have enclosed a check for the filing fee and, if you and your spouse have children, the fee for the Parents' Education Program. Do not enclose the check if you are asking for a filing fee waiver. Prepare and enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope so the court can return your filed copies to you. Once your documents have been filed, you will receive a docket number, which you should write on all of your photocopies. It is also a good idea to make three copies of each filed document, as you may need them later. 

If your spouse lives in another state or country, make sure to consult a lawyer before filing.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services