Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal advice from Rocket Lawyer network attorneys. We make it affordable and simple.

Ask a Lawyer

Get started

Situations that might warrant filing legal forms to alter child custody include:

  • Change in living arrangements of one or both parents
  • Child behavior problems
  • Decision of one or both parents to relocate
  • Marriage of one or both parents
  • New employment situation of one or both parents
  • Problems related to executing visitation rights
  • Wishes of the involved children

Courts don't modify Custody Arrangements lightly, but are not hesitant to do so if making changes is in the best interest of the children involved. Individuals seeking court ordered changes to existing Child Custody Arrangements will be required to file custody modification forms that specify details of the reasons for the request and the proposed solution.
Parents who agree on custody modification terms do not have to seek legal help through the court system. In such situations, the new terms should be put in writing for ease of enforcement. Verbal agreements can be difficult, if not impossible, to enforce.

There are many online resources for Child Custody Legal Forms. It is in the best interest of all parties involved to explicitly record arrangements on state custody forms that have been reviewed by attorneys.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services