Feeling like you want to give back this holiday season? Remember that donating to a worthy cause is the best gift you can give. And here’s a little list of 5 ways you can give back during the holidays to help those in need:
- Help the homeless: understand who they are beyond the stereotype and treat them with respect. You can donate to a non-profit organization, money, clothes and groceries can go a long way.
- Send a care package to a soldier: it’s hard to be away from home during the holiday season, several organizations help citizens that wish to send care packages to our troops, also, check out veterans organizations near you.
- Spend time with the elderly: do you have a neighbor that might need help with his chores? Or driving around? Find your local senior center and spend some time with them, you’ll learn so much and have fun listening to their stories.
- Volunteer: the most valuable way to give back is interact with the people you’re helping, Find a local Soup Kitchen, go with a group of friends late afternoon to prepare a large dinner for people in need that evening. When it’s dinnertime, a long line of hungry men and women will come through, and you will serve them a hot meal. Check out Do Something to find a Soup Kitchen near you.
- Spread kindness around: give up your seat on the bus, offer a smile, compliment someone buying a cup of coffee for the person behind you at Starbucks, leaving a generous tip for a great waitress. It’s amazing what you can do by just being kind.
For our 2nd year, we have partnered with the Family Giving Tree to host a Holiday Wish Drive. Since 1990, the Family Giving Tree has fulfilled gifts wishes for over one million San Francisco Bay Area children, families and seniors from low-income households.
The team was enthusiastic about finding toys and making sure each kid gets what they’re hoping for during the holiday season. The office was filled with ride on giraffes, stuffed animals, Disney dolls, coats, books, gift cards and more. Plus every kid got a toothbrush to help make up for all of the sweets.
This is just one of the many ways we’re giving back to the community in 2016. If you’re looking for a nice dose of gratitude this holiday season, take a look back at the Glide Memorial Thanksgiving feast, the SF Marin Food Bank and 2016 Casino Night to benefit Bay Area Legal Aid.
How will you give back during the holidays? What’s your favorite type of community service? Share your stories, tips, and holiday plans in the comments below!