Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer a Question

You'll hear back in one business day.

Ask a Lawyer a Question

Get started

If you are a U.S. citizen, you must obtain a Visa before traveling to many other countries, although it's not always necessary; the requirements for obtaining a Visa vary by country. The Visa would be issued by the embassy of the country you wish to visit. The Bureau of Consular Affairs provides a list of specific Visa requirements by country.  One hundred-seventeen countries allow Visa-free tourist travel to U.S. citizens.  Some countries make visitors apply for Visas in advance and most Visa-free policies last for 90 days.  It's best to know exactly what sort of Visa you need before making travel plans.

In addition to tourist Visas, there are work Visas, student Visas, and volunteer Visas. The eligibility and application requirements for each type of Visa is determined by the country you are visiting. For more information on the Visa requirements for the country you plan to visit, the U.S. Department of State provides a list of countries around the world and their Visa requirements for U.S. citizens.  

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services