Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Just married?

Just married?

Get started

Changes in legal status that may occur after you get married:

Name change

After you get married, you have the opportunity to change your name legally. Usually, your marriage certificate (with the new name) is the only proof you need to change your name legally. If you want to change your last name to your spouse's last name, you usually can just start using that name and update your documentation at local agencies like the DMV and Social Security office.

If you want to change your name to something different than your spouse's last name, you may need to file with the courts to change your name legally. Your local court clerk should be able to provide you with the forms you need to change your name to something other than your spouse's last name.

While same-sex marriage is legal in every state, there may still be local laws that prohibit couples from changing their names without a court order. Again, your local court clerk will tell you what you need to do to change your name.

To notify your bank, credit card company, or others about your name change you can send them a Name Change Notification Letter.

Filing taxes

When married, you can legally file returns together as a couple. You can file Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. How you choose to file your IRS tax returns after you are married is up to you. Some couples configure their tax obligations both ways to see which way may work best for them. You can file your returns as married even if you got married on the last day of the tax year.

Is the "marriage tax penalty" real?

Under the current tax law, the only "marriage tax penalty" applies to those with a high income (over $500,000 for singles and $600,000 for married couples). At this income level, single and married people are taxed at 37 percent.

Married people may have additional rights in medical situations. Spouses often have more rights to visit their spouse in the hospital. Spouses also usually have default rights to make medical decisions for their spouse if they are incapacitated. If you'd like to legally assign another person to make medical choices for you, you can appoint someone else using a Living Will.

Community property

While your assets and debts when you enter the marriage remain yours, assets acquired after you are married may be subject to your state's community property laws. If you get divorced or die in a community property law state, your ex or surviving spouse may receive half of the marital property. If you want to choose how your assets are distributed, sign a Prenuptial Agreement and make a Will.

Since unique state laws govern marriage, it may be helpful to ask a lawyer about marriage laws in your state. If you don't want your marital outcomes to be dictated by default state laws, you can put agreements in place such as a Prenuptial Agreement, Living Will and Last Will and Testament to help bypass your state laws. Get started for free today!

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services