Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Start Your Last Will and Testament

Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest.

Minor Children: Minor children need to be protected against the possibility that a parent will not be available to provide support for the children. For example, you may wish to create a minor children’s trust to provide for the possibility that your spouse will not survive your death, or to provide for the possibility that you have minor children that are not also the children of your current spouse. Typically, protection is provided by including a minor children’s trust that is funded with your estate assets to provide support for your children until they become adults.

A minor children’s trust is included as part of your last will, or if you use a living trust arrangement instead of a will, it can be included as part of a living trust. If you use a minor children’s trust, you will need to select a trustee. In addition, it is important to select a guardian to care for and make legal decisions for minor children.

Adult Children: After providing for the needs of a surviving spouse, adult children often receive a significant portion of the estate. Issues to consider include whether to provide equal shares to children, how to allocate assets between the children and the spouse, and how to provide for a child's special needs.

Grandchildren: In some cases, it may be desirable to provide for grandchildren, if the grandchildren have special needs or if you want to assist with educational expenses. In other cases, it is appropriate to make gifts to grandchildren because the parents already have sufficient assets.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our On Call attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer On Call® Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your Premium Membership now and get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You’ll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts! Incorporate for FREE + hire a lawyer with up to 40% off*

*Free incorporation for new members only and excludes state fees. Lawyer must be part of our nationwide network to receive discount.

Trusted and secure
Better Business Bureau A+ rating