Learn about deductions, find a qualified attorney, or just ask a tax lawyer a question.
Characters Remaining: 600
Chris Johnson, Esq.

Rocket Lawyer On Call Attorney

Common Tax Questions

How long does it take to get my IRS refund?

After all the work that went into getting your filing in on time you’re likely wondering when you can expect your tax refund. The IRS themselves state that most individuals receive their refund within 21 days, however, there is no guarantee—so be careful not to spend the money too soon.

Until what age can I claim my child as a dependent?

You can claim a child as a dependent until they’re 19, or 24 if they’re a full time student—but age isn’t the only factor the IRS uses. Typically, your child must also live with you for over half the year and have over half their expenses covered by you. It should also be noted that only one person can claim a child as a dependent and children with permanent disabilities are exempt from the age limit.

What do I do if I make a mistake on my taxes?

Chances are everything looked good when you filed, but if you later realized that you made errors there’s likely still time to set things right. First, many minor mathematical errors are often caught and corrected by the IRS. For larger mistakes or omissions you can file an amended return with the IRS.

What are the common deductions?

No one wants to miss out on deductions that they qualify for, fortunately there a number of simple deductions you may be eligible for. There are a number of tax credits for being married, as well as for owning your own home. For students, student loan interest can also be claimed in many cases. In addition, everyone can also claim charitable contributions and business expenses.

Need some support?

I'm here to help Matthew A. Matthew A.
Rocket Lawyer Specialist
(877) 881-0947
Back to Top