Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Start Your Rent Increase Letter

Create your letter now by answering a few questions. Or, learn more about Rent Increase Letters.

Start Your Rent Increase Letter

Get started

What is AB-1482? What will the bill do? 

Assembly Bill 1482 is a sweeping rent-increase cap bill signed into law by California Governor Gavin Newsom in September 2019. Beginning January 1, 2020, AB-1482 will limit rent increases across the state of California to 5 percent per year plus the local rate of inflation. The rules will impact cities differently depending on whether they already have rent-control laws. Unless otherwise voted, the measure is expected to expire in 2030. 

Will my property be rent-controlled? Or am I exempt?

The cap on rent increases will most strongly impact landlords who own properties built more than fifteen years ago in cities that do not have existing rent-control laws. The state law will exempt buildings that were built within the last 15 years. This is a rolling date for compliance. In other words, buildings that were constructed in 2008 will be subject to the rent increase cap starting in 2023, buildings that were constructed in 2009 will need to comply by 2024, etc. 

AB-1482 also exempts single-family owner-occupied homes, including residences in which the owner-occupant rents or leases no more than two units or bedrooms, that are not owned by corporations or real estate investment trusts. So, if you have formed an LLC to rent out your starter home, for example, you will be affected.

The bill also exempts duplexes where the owner occupies one of the units. 

Residents who live in cities with existing rent-control laws will remain largely unaffected by this measure. They will, however, continue to be regulated by rent-control laws under the Costa-Hawkins Act, a California state law that allows an owner of residential real property to establish the initial and succeeding rental rates for housing that meets specified criteria, subject to certain limitations. 

What else should I know?

In addition to the rent-control measure, AB-1482 will also require landlords to establish "just cause" before evicting tenants that have lived in a unit for more than a year. Landlords who want to evict tenants to build condos or make substantial renovations will be required to pay relocation fees equal to one month of rent. 

Under AB-1482, property owners will still be able to evict tenants for the following reasons:  

  • Nonpayment of rent
  • A breach of a material term of the lease
  • Nuisance, waste, unlawful, or criminal activity
  • Refusal to sign a written extension or renewal of the lease
  • Assigning or subletting without the owner's consent
  • Refusal to allow the owner to enter the unit
  • The owner moving themselves or family into a unit
  • The owner plans to substantially renovate
  • The owner is going out of business altogether 

Just cause laws will essentially end the ability for a landlord to evict tenants without offering an explicit reason and will only apply to cities that do not currently have local just cause laws in place. 

If you have questions about AB-1482 and whether it applies to your property, ask a lawyer. For more information, check out our resources for landlords and tenants.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services