Home Ownership

From buying a home to leaving property to your heirs, get the answers and documents you need to make home ownership easier.
Characters Remaining: 600
Marc Gertsacov, Esq.

Rocket Lawyer On Call Attorney

Essential Home Ownership Documents

Quitclaim DeedTransfer a property
100,000 + documents made
Start now
Intent to Purchase Real Estate Outline a sale
31,000 + documents made
Start now
Contract for DeedBorrow money
21,000 + documents made
Start now
Rent to Own Agreement Purchase a home
10,000 + documents made
Start now

Common Home Ownership Legal Questions

What happens if there’s a lien on property I want to buy?

When people talk about a lien on a home, they’re usually talking about Mechanic’s Liens. If the previous owner had work done to a home and then failed to compensate the contractor for his or her work, that person can file a lien on the property. This actually prevents the owner who defaulted on their payment from selling the home without first paying the construction company, plumber, or electrician.

What is a fixed-rate mortgage?

A fixed-rate mortgage is the most commonly used mortgage. As the name implies, the interest you’ll pay on your mortgage will be the same for the life of the agreement, which is most often 30 years. That means you’ll be able to budget for your mortgage payments much more easily than you might if you have an adjustable rate mortgage.

What forms can I use to transfer homeownership?

Buying a home is a complicated process. If you’re in the market, it’s highly recommended you speak with a real estate attorney to make sure everything’s on the up and up. Transferring a title, on the other hand, is generally simpler. You may find yourself wanting to transfer property to a Trust so your grandchildren can inherit it or you may have to transfer property after divorce. Most commonly, this is done with a Quitclaim Deed. It’s still a great idea to have a lawyer look over your forms and make sure they do what you’d like them to.

Can I leave property to my heirs in my estate plan?

You can. Commonly, this is done either via a Trust or through a Last Will and Testament. There are advantages and disadvantages to using either document (Trusts can often allow you to avoid the probate process, for example), but you usually can bequeth property to your loved ones in your estate plan. If you’d like to do so, it’s a good idea to talk with an experienced real estate lawyer.


Need something else?

I'm here to helpCustomer Care Specialist Kazia K. Kazia K.
Customer Care Specialist
(877) 881-0947
go to top of pageBack to Top

More Home Ownership Documents

Create a Deed

Warranty Deed Transfer interest in a property
Grant Deed Guarantee that there are no liens on a property
Deed of Reconveyance Confirm fulfullment of your mortgage
Deed of Trust Offer a property as security on a loan
Mortgage Deed Use property as collateral to pay for your home
Bargain and Sale Deed Transfer property to family or a trust

Stay Organized

Change of Address Letter Let people know you've moved
Moving Checklist Stay on top of your move
Home Inventory Worksheet Get the most out of your home insurance
Home Purchase Worksheet Stay organized if you're buying
Home Evaluation Worksheet Compare properties

Home Improvement Contracts

Handyman Contract Pay your handyman
Home Improvement Contract Hire someone to fix up your home
Painting Contract Get your home painted, inside or out
HVAC Contract Get your heating and A/C fixed
Plumbing Contract Hire an experienced plumbed
Construction Agreement Add-on to your home

Cleaning & Landscaping

Housekeeping Agreement Get help keeping your house tidy
Interior Design Contract Fix up your home
Landscaping Contract Hire a landscaper
Lawn Service Contract Keep your yard looking nice