Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Ask a Lawyer a Question

You'll hear back in one business day.

Ask a Lawyer a Question

Get started

Evidence of U.S. citizenship also must be submitted along with your application.  The following are some examples of both primary and secondary proof of citizenship.

Primary evidence of citizenship:

  •  Previously issued, undamaged, U.S. Passport
  •  Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state
  •  Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  •  Naturalization Certificate
  •  Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot provide primary evidence, you must provide secondary evidence of citizenship:

  •  Baptismal certificate
  •  Hospital Birth Certificate
  •  Census record
  •  Early school record
  •  Family bible record
  •  Doctor's record of post-natal care

When you apply for a U.S. passport in person, you must also present one form of acceptable identification.  The following are examples of primary and secondary identification.

Primary Identification:

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Valid driver's license
  • Current government identification
  • Current military identification

If you cannot provide primary identification, then you must provide secondary identification:

  •  A combination of documents such as: Social Security Card + credit card + employee ID + library card
  •  A witness that must be present at the time of application + known you for 2 years + be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident + have a valid ID + have Form DS-71 'Affidavit of Identifying Witness' filled out in the presence of a Passport Agent.

You must present a photocopy of each identification document in addition to the original document. Photocopies must be on plain white, 8 ½ by 11" standard paper, with the front and back of the identification document visible.  Each photocopy must contain images on only one side of the paper; you may present multiple separate pages.

Finally, you must pay the application fee and provide a photo that will appear on your passport.

Minors age 16 and under have slightly different requirements.  See "U.S. Dept of State's instructions for Children Under 16" for more information.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services