In some ways, an eSignature is actually better than a pen and paper signature. For one, eSignatures are time-stamped, so you and your co-signers know exactly when your agreement was signed. As part of Rocket Lawyer membership, we also store all your signed documents in one easy-to-access place. That means you don't have to worry about losing your important legal documents. Moreover, you don't need to be in the same room—or even the same zip code—to have a document signed and ready to go.
And if course, if you ever need it, these contracts and agreements are all printable. A hard copy is just a click away.
There are plenty of laws on the books that have helped make eSignatures legally binding. Here are just a few:
- Digital Signature And Electronic Authentication Law (United States)
- Electronic Signatures in Global and International Commerce Act (United States)
- Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (United States)
- The Government Paperwork Elimination Act (United States)
- The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (United States)
- Electronic Communications Act (United Kingdom)
- Electronic Signature Directive (European Union)
- E-Commerce Act (Mexico)
- Digital Signature Law 8454 (Costa Rica)
- Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (South Africa)
Do you want your customers to be able to sign agreements online? Rocket Sign APIs are available to add electronic signatures to your online customer agreements. Using this technology your customers can sign using any computer or mobile device.
This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.