The State of Vermont offers no-fault divorces, where one party alleges that the marriage is "irretrievably broken" (commonly known as irreconcilable differences, i.e., the two parties no longer get along). The cost of filing for divorce in Vermont is substantially lower when the parties have already reached an agreement regarding the terms of divorce and have submitted a Stipulation or Divorce Settlement Agreement.

Get started Visit our Divorce Center Get divorce documents and ask a lawyer your questions.

Residency Requirements

In order to file for divorce in Vermont one or both spouses must have resided in Vermont for at least six (6) months immediately prior to filing for the divorce. In addition, a final divorce will not be granted until at least one of the parties has resided in the state for at least one (1) year.
Fill Out your Forms

When filing for a divorce you must file certain documents as required by the court. Most of the following forms are available through the Vermont Judiciary website.

Once the divorce is filed there is a minimum of three (3) month waiting period before the court will sign the divorce decree. If the parties have reached an agreement and executed a Divorce Settlement Agreement the waiting period can be waived by the parties.

Forms to be completed and filed by all people filing for no-fault divorce in Vermont include:

Couples with minor children also need to fill out a Child Support Order.

 If both parties are in agreement regarding their divorce they should complete a Divorce Separation Agreement.  Use Rocket Lawyer's easy interview process to complete this agreement, which will outline the terms of the division of property, assets and debts in your divorce. Completing this document will help you avoid the cost and time involved in going to trial but is contingent on the parties being in agreement.

If the parties have executed a Divorce Settlement Agreement and they want the Court to grant the divorce without the need of a trial, they need to fill out a Final Stipulation.

Make Copies of your Forms

Once you have filled out the appropriate forms, make at least two copies of each. One set will be filed with your court clerk's office, and one should be kept for your records.
Bring your Completed Forms to your Court Clerk's Office and Pay the Fee

Proceed to your court clerk's office with the originals and copies of your forms. If everything is in order, the clerk will use the original forms and ask you to pay a fee to file.
Additional Assistance

You can use Rocket Lawyer to Find a Lawyer in your area who can provide you with further assistance in completing your divorce.

Get started Visit our Divorce Center Get divorce documents and ask a lawyer your questions.

Get started Visit our Divorce Center Get divorce documents and ask a lawyer your questions.