Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Start Your Power of Attorney

Get started

Life changes

When you're creating your estate plan, you don't exactly know what the rest of your life will bring. You could have twins, for example, start a business, or start donating heavily to a charity you believe in. All of these things might cause you to update your will.

Those same events could trigger an update to your power of attorney as well. Here are some common instances where you might want to think about an update:

  • You have married, and want to designate your spouse as your agent.
  • You have divorced or become separated from your former spouse.   Since it's likely that your spouse was your appointed agent, you'll want to name a new agent.
  • Your child has proven to be incredibly trustworthy and wants the responsibility
  • There are changes in your state's laws which affect the legality of your Power of Attorney document.

Problems with your agent

Just as you may have new members of your family that make you rethink your estate plan, you may also have problems with your power of attorney agent. Here are some examples that might trigger the appointment of a new agent:

  • Your appointed agent is deceased or is otherwise incapable of handling the responsibility
  • Your agent is in jail or under investigation
  • You've had a falling out with your agent
  • You no longer have trust in your agent's abilities to handle your finances or medical decisions

Changes to your power of attorney itself

Lastly, though your life may be the same and you may still trust your agent, you might want to pare down your POA or make it more expansive. Simply put, you may just want your agent to have more or less control. There are plenty of reasons why---perhaps your business is doing great and you want to maintain more control than you'd previously given yourself---so you'll have to make that decision yourself.

How to update your power of attorney

If you have an existing power of attorney form and you need to make changes, you should revoke your current document first. You can do that by using a revocation of power of attorney. Then, simply create a new Power of Attorney that includes the updates you want to make.

This article contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Try Rocket Lawyer FREE for 7 days

Start your membership now to get legal services you can trust at prices you can afford. You'll get:

All the legal documents you need—customize, share, print & more

Unlimited electronic signatures with RocketSign®

Ask a lawyer questions or have them review your document

Dispute protection on all your contracts with Document Defense®

30-minute phone call with a lawyer about any new issue

Discounts on business and attorney services