A Statement of Information filing will require different information depending on your state. In California, filing is easy. The Statement of Information will include an update on the company’s managers, directors, and members as well as Registered Agent. The Secretary of State will send the form to your company to be filled out and returned.

Get started Start Your Incorporation Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest.

However, in other states, this will be done solely by the company in most instances without a form being received. In other circumstances, a Statement of Information will be the same as an initial report or an annual report.

Determine When Your Statement Is Due

The first step in a Statement of Information filing is to determine when your state requires a statement to be filed. State requirements will vary greatly with most states requiring an annual or biennial filing. Some states will also require an initial filing that must be done shortly after incorporation as well as a filing if any Registered Agent information has changed.

If you don’t know when to file, we provide information that can help you with your Statement of Information. We’ll also be able to answer any questions you may have about your filing.

Statement of Information Filing

Your statement can be filed in many ways. This includes the following:

  • Third-Party Filing: This is done through a service, such as Rocket Lawyer. Another party will fill out all of the required paperwork and submit it on your company’s behalf. This is the easiest method of filing.
  • Paper Filing: In some states, you’ll be sent the forms to fill out by the Secretary of State. These forms will be basic in nature and will ask simple questions, such as the names and addresses of current members, officers, or directors. You’ll also be required to update your Registered Agent’s information if you’ve switched agents.
  • E-File: Many states allow for a Statement of Information to be filed. This is done electronically and will often only be allowed after an initial paper filing has be done by the company.

If none of the above pertain to you, there’s always the option of searching for the required form on your state’s government website. You can also contact the office of the Secretary of State to determine where you can obtain the paperwork needed to file.


There’s typically a fee that will need to be included with your filing. Fees can be as low as $20 in some states, but you’ll want to consult with the paperwork provided for the appropriate fee. If you’re e-filing, the fee amount will often be listed and payment may be allowed to be made electronically.

You should pay close attention to the filing deadline. If you don’t file in the allotted timeframe, you’ll be assessed a penalty in most states. If you choose not to file even after the penalty has been assessed, you may lose the right to do business in the state and be put on suspension. Furthermore, you may lose the right to use the entity name of your business as a result.

Get started Start Your Incorporation Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest.

Get started Start Your Incorporation Answer a few questions. We'll take care of the rest.