Even if you don't itemize income tax deductions, you could deduct moving-related expenses. Your move must meet the following qualifications:

  • You must be moving because of a job. 
  • Your new job would have increased your commute by more than 50 miles if you hadn't moved.
  • You must be employed full time for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months after you move. If you're self-employed, the applicable figures are 78 weeks and 24 months, respectively, and at least 39 of the weeks must be in the first 12 months.
  • Your moving expenses can't be reimbursed by your employer.

H&R Block is an official partner of RocketLawyer.com  
Certain content Copyright © HRB Digital LLC.  All Rights Reserved.