- $47,450 for Single and Head of Household filers
- $72,450 for Married Filing Jointly and Qualifying Widow(er)s
- $36,225 for Married Filing Separately
While income within these amounts is exempt from the AMT, income exceeding these exemption amounts may be subject to AMT, under one of two tax rates:
- 26% on the first $175,000 of AMT taxable income
- 28% on the remainder of the AMT taxable income
Because inflation has made more and more taxpayers affected by the AMT, Congress creates AMT "patches" that increase the exemption amount. If you were subject to the AMT in a prior year and you're not subject to the AMT this year, you may be eligible to claim the minimum tax credit.